r at Vail Systems Inc.
Vail Systems is seeking a Linux System Administrator familiar with managing and monitoring internal infrastructure tools. Our state-of-the-art voice technology requires integration of platform components running on highly available, low latency systems and networks that support VoIP signaling and media, real-time analytics, and data connections to carriers, contact centers, and customer backend resources.As a Linux System Administrator, you will play a key role in delivering the benefits of Vail’s voice platform to our customers by installing, configuring, building, and supporting a Linux server environment. You would assist users of the Vail voice platform and supporting systems alongside software, systems and network engineers. This role is team-oriented, as you will collaborate with other highly technical engineering staff to accomplish project deliverables.
The ideal candidate will have a strong network operations programming background to successfully design, maintain, troubleshoot, and deliver appropriate solutions within the Linux operating system. The candidate will have knowledge of networking, monitoring, computer hardware, web applications, user account management, system administration, system engineering, database administration, and project management. Additionally, the candidate will be a continual learner, organized, and research-oriented.
What you’ll do:
- Implement, maintain, monitor, design, and secure systems and voice platforms with strong high-availability requirements of a carrier-grade hosting environment.
- Support voice needs of Fortune 500 enterprise customers, including state-of-the-art IP telephony, Interactive Voice Response (IVR), call routing, contact center integrations, and cutting-edge real-time analytics, as well as other research initiatives.
- Participate in systems design, kernel performance tuning for low latency environments, and capacity planning.
- Configure web servers running Nginx, Apache, and Django.
- Configure web applications that use Spring Boot and Quarkus frameworks.
- Troubleshoot issues that occur on all network layers, using packet tracing tools like Wireshark and tcpdump to analyze.
- Automate server builds using Kickstart install method.
- Harden operating systems following CIS Benchmark recommendations for PCI compliance.
- Run audits and security scans to make sure systems meet PCI compliance requirements.
- Manage DNS servers running BIND, update DNS zones, configure web application firewalls, and maintain domain TLS certificates.
- Manage Docker containers using Kubernetes API.
- Manage network switches, and Linux operating system using configuration management tools like SaltStack and custom scripts.
- Prepare operating system, audit, and scan final systems before deploying to production.
- Document administrative procedures, incident response plans and help keep service runbooks up to date.
- Write Python and Bash scripts to help automate day-to-day toil tasks.
- Manage and monitor all services running on our VoIP voice platform
- Thoroughly test any configuration changes and write detailed maintenance plans before deploying changes to production.
- Manage and troubleshoot ESXi hypervisor VM environment.
- Analyze system logs to help debug system or application issues.
- Perform OS patches using YUM/DNF.
- Provide on-call support after hours, as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience in a Linux/Unix systems administration role.
- Experience working with software engineers in a highly technical environment.
- Familiarity with Salt Stack.
- Proficiency in Linux operating systems and a strong troubleshooting background.
- Experience with Bash and Python.
- Knowledge of VMWare/vCenter.
- Knowledge of networking protocols and concepts such as TCP/IP, HTTP, SIP.
- Experience with deploying applications to production environments using configuration management tools.
- Experience with monitoring tools (e.g. Nagios, Promethus, Observium, and Grafana)
- Experience with container-orchestration technologies like Kubernetes and Docker.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- 4+ years of experience in a Linux/Unix systems administration role.
- Experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) tools, such as Jenkins and CloudBees.
- Experience with configuration management systems such as Salt, Puppet, CFEngine.
- Experience with additional programming languages, such as SQL, C++, Golang, Java, etc.