ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world.
ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
What will I be doing?
The Software Engineer is responsible for implementation and testing phases of the software development life cycle, occasionally providing input into design.
In this position, you will also…
• Implements software for specifications of medium complexity for limited scale systems.
• Participates as a team member on various engineering projects.
• Suggests alternative methodologies or techniques to achieving desired results.
• Develops and maintains understanding of products, manufacturing processes, and product applications.
• Manually tests and unit tests all assigned applications.
• Writes application technical documentation.
• Reviews and revises new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high quality systems.
• Maintains knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new hardware / software for company use.
• Follows departmental policies, procedures, and work instructions.
• Works closely with higher-level engineers to increase functional knowledge.
Reasons you should apply...
1. You enjoy working with new technologies!
2. You enjoy collaborating with other teams!
3. You want to work in a purpose driven organization!
This job may not be a fit if...
1. You don’t have experience with Java.
2. You do your best work as a solo artist; the rest of the group just slows you down.
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus a minimum of 2 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Java development experience required (or Angular development)
• Ability to learn and master standard programming languages.
• Ability to write detailed design specifications based on user requirements.
• Ability to work with standard office tools.
• Ability to work with source control systems.
• Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio).
• Ability to work in an agile environment.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Experience with Angular development.
• Ability to understand and manipulate XML.
• Familiar with AWS.
• Familiar with relational databases (preferably MySQL).
• Familiar with REST API design.
• Familiar with the Unix command line.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
Other important information about this position:
• This position is based in one of our ProQuest office locations, including Bethesda, MD, Ann Arbor, MI or New Providence, NJ.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest/PQ seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a passionate professional with a drive for success, please consider joining our talented team!!