on Systems Engineer at MITRE
The System Engineering Analytics Department is seeking a motivated, creative Modelling & Simulation Engineer to apply cutting edge tools and techniques to challenging problems facing the US government. This position offers the opportunity to apply mathematical modelling, statistics, and algorithms to solve complex problems.
You will have the opportunity to learn from data analysts, domain experts, and software developers in a fast paced and dynamic atmosphere. You will have the opportunity to make strategic differences and have real long-term impacts on some of the most challenging problems in the government space. Our employees are expected to work on multiple projects, cross pollinate ideas across the government, and continuously learn.
We are truly an interdisciplinary department that thrives on having a large toolbox to support data- and model-driven decision making. We value people who bring a positive outlook and an eagerness to learn new skills. Our department works to solve problems in the public interest, in partnership with the numerous government organizations. We also actively conduct independent research of interest in support of and in conjunction with government and academia partners. Once established, new members of our department have latitude to work on projects of interest to them.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer, Engineering, Systems Engineering or related major.
- 2 + years related work experience
- Must be a US citizen capable of obtaining & maintaining a US government clearance.
- Documented proficiency in programing languages such as: Python, MATLAB, C, or C++, to develop physics-based models, analyze data, and/or visualize data and analysis results
- Experience developing physics-based modeling and simulation tools and applying those tools to address research questions
- Proficient problem-solving skills and capability to collaborate with scientists, analysts, technical experts, and subject matter experts across several technical disciplines
- Desire to learn new techniques and approaches while on-the-job by leveraging structured educational content, published research, and expertise from team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A masters degree in physics, applied mathematics, aerospace, mechanical engineering, or related discipline with a strong technical background and 3+ years experience
- Hands-on experience in adapting research done in academia and industry to “real-world” challenging data sources and problem sets
- Experience conducting quantitative data analysis using a variety of data sets
- Ability to formulate rigorous models based on loosely defined or underspecified research questions and requirements
- Ability to formulate algorithms, tools, and processes to solve complex data problems