Lessonly (Indianapolis, IN)
This position may work in the Lessonly office in Indianapolis, IN or remotely from any of the following states: Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Alabama, Texas, Virginia or Washington.
Lessonly is looking for a DevOps Engineer to help build and manage our architecture and automated processes. You will empower our developers and testers to do better work while making our software perform reliably. You will also play a major role in our quest in scaling to meet the needs of our growing customers and our own growing team.
Candidates for this role will be most successful if they have a desire to grow in our entire stack but specialize immediately in the back end and infrastructure. Specifically, a love for Ruby on Rails, AWS, and automation will take you a long way!
Roles & Responsibilities
- Software Engineer (40-50%)
- You are not afraid to dive into the application code to implement architectural changes, improve data querying, or implement new patterns.
- You build tools to help manage our environments and to help other departments manage their clients’ data.
- We are looking for someone who has the ability not only to help us automate our infrastructure, but to help us ensure the software serves that infrastructure well.
- Automation Engineer (30-40%)
- You identify manual processes that could be automated and build the tools to automate them. You monitor those processes to ensure they continue to work as intended.
- You work with other teams to assess their automation needs and help them build the tools they need to do better work.
- Infrastructure Engineer (10-20%)
- You build and manage the AWS-based infrastructure for our various applications and instances of our core service. You keep our software running and continually make that job easier to do as you go by automating as much as possible.
- We host private instances of our core application for our larger customers. You help make creating and managing those instances seamless and easy for engineers, client experience reps, and the customers themselves.
- As a part of your commitment to keeping the services running, you are a member of the on-call rotation. In order to keep the on-call rotation from being a burden, you help ensure the software is built to be reliable.
- Ideally 1+ years of experience building web applications in Ruby on Rails.
- Design and build tools to connect data from various environments for analysis and control.
- Implement changes to web software in service of improving performance, security, and reliability.
- Review pull requests by other software engineers, especially in consideration of performance, security, and reliability, keeping in mind that we prefer to critique with empathy.
- Experience managing SaaS infrastructure using Kubernetes and Terraform.
- Experience monitoring web environments using Datadog, Grafana, Kibana, or similar tools.
- Ability to quickly assess and remediate infrastructure, database, and software issues affecting live environments.
- Experience tuning and maintaining PostgreSQL databases.
- Build and maintain tools to automate internal processes relating to deployment and testing.
We are a tight-knit group with diverse backgrounds who value our culture. Individually, we strive to be humble, hungry, and people-smart. As a team, we put learners first. We share before we are ready, ask clarifying questions, highlight what's working, have difficult conversations, get agreements, and make time for life. These aren't just slogans we put on the wall. We love and live by our culture.
- Health Insurance - Medical, vision, dental, and life plans available.
- Disability Insurance - Short-term and long-term coverage.
- Paid Parental Leave - Because time with your new baby llama is important.
- Unlimited PTO - We believe in making time for life, so we like to keep this benefit simple.
- 401k Plan - Save and prepare for the future with us.
- Equity - When we win as a team, you should win, too.
- Flexibility - What works best for you, works for us—whether that means you’re in the office, at a coffee shop, or at your kitchen table. We have llamas working in Indy and across the U.S. We also provide everyone with a tech stipend to keep their tech rocking and rolling smoothly.
- Work Happier - Our community is one of recognition and fun. From company-wide shoutouts to dogs in the office to our vibrant Slack workspace, we’re constantly collaborating and celebrating together.
- Make Indy Brighter - Every year, we select four organizations that serve kids in Indianapolis and dedicate our time, money, and talent to them. Making time to volunteer and give back to our community matters.
- Professional Development - We learn from experts, community leaders, and each other constantly. From Mass Classes and workshops to company events and daily conversations, we’re always growing.
Lessonly is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate against any protected class including, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. Lessonly will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact [email protected] if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Please Note: For the health and safety of our employees, Lessonly’s physical office is currently closed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. All of our employees are working remotely and we are re-evaluating the opening date of our office on an ongoing basis.