base Administrator at Vail Systems Inc.
MongoDB Database Administrator
Vail Systems is seeking a Database Administrator familiar with managing Mongo databases and code that interacts with them. As a MongoDB Database Administrator, you will be expected to resolve any inefficient queries that appear in the Mongo logs and initiate updates to the latest Mongo version. You would also be responsible for performing data transfers between Mongo and SQL databases. You may also spend some time managing Postgres databases. This is a team-oriented role where you will collaborate with other highly technical engineering staff to accomplish project tasks.
The ideal candidate will have a strong computer science background to successfully run ad hoc queries that follow a specific set of requirements as requested by software developers. The candidate will have knowledge of data structures, networking, algorithms, programming, parallelization, systems architecture, MongoDB aggregation pipeline, MongoDB replica set configuration, and document-based storage. Additionally, the candidate will be a problem-solver, communicative, and detail-oriented.
What you’ll do:
- Solve all search query issues
- Identify slow running queries by checking logs and initiate appropriate resolutions to improve performance
- Archive telephony call data that is set out by predetermined parameters and schedules.
- Search for queries that are marked by collection or index scans and compact collections
- Perform MongoDB replica set health check proactively, monitor database load and performance, participate in a 24/7 on-call support rotation
- Work with project and technical managers for project planning, predict storage growth, perform database version upgrade and storage expansion.
- Export data out to be loaded into our data warehouse. Improve ETL processes that interact with Microsoft SQL servers. Write scripts and schedule jobs
- Manage a small number of Postgres and MySQL databases
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, or another related field
- 2+ years of experience as a Database Administrator
- Proficiency administering PostgreSQL and MySQL databases
- Linux shell scripting skills and experience with large-scale Linux environments
- Experience working with software engineers in a highly technical environment
- Knowledge of 1+ compiled programming language (e.g. C++, Scala, Java, etc.)
- Knowledge of 1+ scripting programming language (e.g. Python, T-SQL, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Jira
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel
- Knowledge of Gitlab
- MongoDB Professional Certification