Hudson River Trading
Working as a coder at Hudson River Trading (HRT) means working on a small, highly productive and efficient team. We know you see "Trading" in our name and assume you'll be relegated to some dark corner to code for the "business" but this impression is entirely wrong. At HRT, a fully automated trading firm based in NYC, the code you write *is* our business, so it is everyone's job, top to bottom, to make sure our team has everything they need to do their jobs well. We are looking for smart programmers who love to code, like being challenged, hate to climb corporate ladders, and don't mind the added bonus of having hard work rewarded through recognition and extremely competitive compensation. At HRT, coders are integral to the success of our trading, and they know it. You can always expect to be challenged by the ever-changing financial markets, and find yourself working on critical software in an extremely fast-paced, real-time environment. As a Software Engineer on HRT's Core Development team, you will step into an incredible learning opportunity; HRT's distributed system is on the Pareto frontier of latency and throughput. You'll develop deep knowledge of C++, OS internals, CPU architecture, and networking hardware and protocols. And you will be surrounded by amazing developers who are honing their skills every day. You'll be amazed at what you accomplish. Or do you prefer hardware? Want to craft unique FPGA designs with nanosecond precision? Passionate about exposing malicious bugs in complex designs and fixing them? HRT builds custom, high-performance hardware to support our trading infrastructure. We use a mix of industry standard and open-source tools for our development. You'll be part of a team pushing boundaries in low-level computer architecture, logic design, tool writing, and the interface between hardware and software. The Profile:
- In your spare time you: code, tinker, read, explore, break things, and have an insatiable curiosity for all things computer related... you'll find like-minded people here
- You possess a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- You are capable of working independently as well as part of a team
- You can analyze and fix problems quickly
- Can look at code, figure out how it works, and how to make it better
- Can describe software designs at a high level (the abstract interface), low level (step-by-step algorithm), or anywhere in between
- You really like to work with people who challenge you and make you better at what you do
- Excellent design, debugging and problem solving skills
- Some working experience with C++ or extensive C is required, as are good CS fundamentals
- Knowledge of UNIX operating systems (we use Linux), system/processor performance, and network communication
- For the hardware track, similar coding skills and CS fundamentals, plus some experience in Verilog, SystemVerilog, or VHDL coding. Interest in low-level architecture, logic design, and/or verification is a plus
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we come from all sorts of backgrounds: mathematics, computer science, statistics, physics, and engineering. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automated trading. Our culture celebrates great ideas whether they come from HRT veterans or new hires. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues, whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Seem like something you might be interested in? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.