We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our team here at Rustici Software. Come work alongside our software development team, deploying the applications we create in our AWS hosted infrastructure.
Our DevOps engineers are responsible for keeping services runningsmoothly. The DevOps team owns the low-level infrastructure and monitoring of all services. They share ownership of the build and deployment pipeline for our products. DevOps engineers also provide advice in product and application development. As a result, your day-to-day work will often vary. You can expect to:
- Tune monitoring of application, systems, or AWS metrics
- Identify and build in-application metrics
- Design and implement infrastructure cost-savings measures
- Assist with debugging of production issues and try to prevent their reoccurrence
- Act as an internal resource for development teams; Provide a specific focus on improving reliability and performance
- Improve our internal automation, especially through the use of “Infrastructure as Code” tools
- Implement new features in our infrastructure control plane
- Participate in an on-call rotation for production-impacting issues
We're not hung up on a particular amount or type of DevOps experience, but we are adamant about a particular level of skill. We develop web applications, so familiarity with the typical web stack is critical. You will need a mix of strong software development skills and systems administration.On the operations side, we are looking for broad knowledge of:
- DNS, CDNs, load balancers, web servers, app servers, and databases
- Networking concepts like the basics of TCP/UDP, RFC 1918 subnets, and NAT
- Very comfortable with the Linux CLI
On the development side, we want a candidate with broad knowledge of:
- Some experience with “backend” tech such as Java , C#, Go, or Python
Finally, we expect some familiarity with modern operations tooling.Specifically, we’d like some experience with “Infrastructure as Code” tools like Terraform or CloudFormation, Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
At Rustici Software, we use a variety of technologies. Specific experience with the following tools is not required by any means. We are looking for someone with broad domain knowledge.However, we value transparency, so this is what our world looks like today.
- Git for our version control, hosted on GitHub
- AWS for hosting, actively using EC2, RDS, CloudFront, Elasticache, Route53, ELBs, Lambda
- Jenkins Pipelines for test and build orchestration
- Python utilities for infrastructure glue and automation
- ELK for log aggregation; CloudWatch, Prometheus, Grafana, and Pingdom for monitoring; OpsGenie for paging
- MySQL databases
- HashiCorp's Vault for secret storage
- Terraform and CloudFormation for infrastructure, depending on the product
- Ansible for resource provisioning with Packer for AMI building
Check out “An Open Letter” from of our C.E.O., TJ Seabrooks. It says a lot about what you need to know before emailing us about this job opening.
Make sure that what we get from you makes it apparent that you are the right person and that this job is important to you, and that you want to work here, not just somewhere.
You will want to spend some time on our website, learn how we think, what we do, and why we have been named a Best Place to Work by Nashville Business Journal for more than 10 years now. Get to know us if you want us to get to know you.
Each time we hire, we wait until we find exactly the right person. If that’s you, we really hope you’ll send your resume over to us with an email to [email protected] and your answer to our developer test.