Harvard Medical School
Harvard Medical School is seeing applications for the position of Front-end/UX Engineer to independently perform complex applications/web development for projects of large to very large size and complexity; typically work as part of a team to implement business solutions. Responsible for all aspects of application development cycle. Code advanced and complex software solutions.
We are looking for a software engineer who will join us in the Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School and help us build a platform that will enable scientists to visualize and annotate high-resolution genomic data and aid in studies of diseases such as cancer. We are looking for a bright, motivated generalist, who will contribute at multiple levels of the project, with particular focus on:
- Data visualization using WebGL and other high-performance browser-side techniques
- Designing practical and user interface based on customer needs
- Scoping and proposing new product features
- Working with scientific researchers on the team to deliver a product capable of providing life- saving biological insights The platform we are building is currently in the early stage of development and has a limited feature-set. A demo of the related visualization component effort is available here: http://vitessce.io/?dataset=linnarsson-2018
Typical Core Duties
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Implement and support technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to improve services
- Contribute ideas to coding best practices and new technologies
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience
- Minimum two years' additional post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience
- Knowledge of information technology applications, processes, software and equipment
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor
- Strong coding skills (coding interview is part of our recruitment process)
- A Bachelor of Science (or equivalent academic or practical experience) in a technical subject (Computing Science, Engineering, Maths, Biology, etc.)
- Working knowledge of WebGL or a modern web framework (React, Angular, etc.) or a data visualization framework (d3). An existing portfolio of projects (we will request a demo of a project, ideally an interactive data visualization, a user-facing app or a game) Scientific experiences, such as a Ph.D. in a technical field or a portfolio of published research work would be a bonus but is not a necessary requirement.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Work is performed in an office setting.
For a detailed description nd to apply, visit https://jobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerID=25240&siteID=5341&AReq=52194BR
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.