Yum! Brands, Inc.
Who we are:
Our story might surprise you. We’re the world’s largest restaurant company—encompassing KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell—but there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes than just frying chicken, baking pizzas, and serving up tacos. We put this delicious food in the hands of customers through apps, websites, kiosks, POS, and other digital dining experiences – and we are only getting started. Here in Chicago, we’re building out a bold team of hackers to help Yum! Brands deliver the next generation of software to 49,000 restaurants in more than 145 countries. That’s a huge responsibility, which is why we’re on a mission to find the most fearless engineers to join our software startup within Yum!.
Yum!'s vision for the future is simple: a world with more Yum!: with our iconic brands in more places, and more ways for consumers to access them. The key and not-so-secret ingredient in our recipe for growth is our unrivaled talent and culture, which fuels our results. And like all companies who win consistently, our brands, employees, and franchisees will need to continually adjust to stay relevant now and in the future. The software we’re building does just that: it serves people in new ways to make team members more productive and customers happier.
What we need:
Our dynamic eCommerce Platform team is rapidly growing as we optimize our digital ordering channels and technology innovations to create competitive advantages for our restaurants around the globe. We are seeking Android Engineers to develop both consumer-facing and enterprise operational applications for the restaurant industry. Our ideal candidates can bring fresh ideas from their own experience and are eager to tackle new problems across the stack. In this role, expect to use the latest frameworks and contribute to them as needed. Our suite of applications leverages peer to peer replication, network service discovery, and embedded web services to create a robust and resilient experience for our end users.
- Be building an Android-based point-of-sale and operations platform that is anything but your typical consumer-facing Android app
- Have the opportunity to work on applications that go above and beyond the standard use of Android + RESTful web services
- Solve problems with new and emerging technologies including distributed databases, real-time syncing, message queues, and distributed transactions
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- Published native android apps in your portfolio
- Strong knowledge of the Android SDK, including high level components (activities, fragments, services) and AndroidX components
- Experience developing with standard Android libraries like RxJava, Dagger, Retrofit, Butterknife, etc.
- Experience with Mobile application design patterns (MVP, MVVM)
- Experience working with SQLite and/or other embedded databases
- Experience with Android unit testing frameworks
- Experience consuming RESTful services
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Startup experience
- Experience with Java web servers and distribute systems
- Familiarity with message queues (RabbitMQ, Kafka)
- A solid understanding of both SQL and NoSQL databases, knowledge of their tradeoffs
- Social proof of your passion for software development (blog, personal apps or websites, meetup presentations, community involvement)
A few of our perks:
- 4 weeks of vacation PLUS holidays
- 5 sick days
- 2 paid volunteer days
- 401k matching
- Medical, dental, vision
- Life insurance
- Half day Fridays
- Generous parental leave
- A world-famous recognition culture