Houwzer is a next-generation real estate brokerage and home services company built around the customer. Their full-service, salaried agents and loan officers help homeowners save when they sell and trust when they buy. Houwzer’s proprietary technology is an end-to-end platform that streamlines the entire transaction from beginning to end with an integrated one-stop shopping experience. The company employs seller and buyer agent specialists, who receive salaries instead of commissions, allowing them to focus on service, not just sales. Houwzer has maintained an industry-leading Net Promoter Score of 79.4 and an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars from hundreds of client reviews online. Since launching in 2015, Houwzer has saved home sellers in the Mid-Atlantic region millions and helped clients buy or sell thousands of homes worth hundreds of millions.
The business has tremendous traction including the following highlights:
- Doubling revenues year over year since inception.
- Successful launch of two markets, achieving regional profitability, with a third launch underway and a fourth launch later this year.
- Achieving best in class attachment rates on mortgage and title services.
- Sustained continuous media coverage in Forbes, The Washington Post, Inman and the Philadelphia and Washington Business Journals.
- And just closed a Series A round of funding to fuel growth (announcement on Crunchbase).
This experienced front-end, UX-focused engineer will be a key part of the foundation of the tech team at a growth startup poised to grow rapidly as the company does. Our vision is to be the best real estate company in, and for, the world. The primary objective will be to contribute to the development of our proprietary technology platform and public-facing website, which is an integral part in achieving Houwzer’s standard of superior client satisfaction by providing a professional, organized, timely, and delightful experience to clients.
What Will Be Expected of You
- Contribute to the development of Houwzer’s proprietary technology platform on all levels with a primary focus on UX and front-end development
- Embed with internal product users as key stakeholders to seek product input first-hand
- Ensure integrity of user experience across the board
- Take part in continuous deployment to production, and be ready to take responsibility for the code you deploy (though you will not be first-line support to Houwzer clients)
- Meet monthly performance requirements
- Other duties may be assigned
- Attend community events to create brand awareness.
- Attend required company meetings.
- Volunteer 50 hours per year.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred. Minimum 3 years experience as a professional software engineer.
Other Skills, Abilities, or Qualifications
- User-centric approach to development
- Ability to independently solve open-ended and complex problems using software
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with others in a team environment
- In-depth knowledge of browser environment and HTML/CSS/JS
- Experience working with a dedicated front-end codebase interacting with backend APIs
- Experience with any modern frontend framework (we use Angular and Typescript)
- Experience with front-end development toolchain (e.g. Node//NPM/Webpack/Babel etc.) and deployment of front-end assets
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment and solve problems independently; the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and needs
- Great interpersonal skills
- Strong time management skills and strong attention to detail
Experience in the Following Highly Preferred:
- Website/graphic design
- Full-stack/backend development experience
- Ruby on Rails
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to feel and touch, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Medical coverage with a $320 contribution to the Houwzer plan of your choice.
- $10,000 in life insurance.
- Option to buy into vision, dental, short-term disability, and supplemental life insurance at group rates.
- Retirement savings account through Guideline.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits for transportation and parking.
- Opportunities for professional development.
- Flexible Paid Time Off policy (no maximum on the number of days off) and eight observed holidays.
Diversity & Inclusion
At Houwzer, we have set out to become the best real estate company in, and for, the world. To be the best, it's crucial we have a variety of perspectives and approaches, which means we are building a team inclusive of different races, genders, ages, religions, identities, and experiences. Come join us. We'd love to have you.