Cosmic AES is seeking either a Jr. or Sr. engineer to support Department of Defense customers in the development of methods to find, fix, and track adversaries operating advanced satellite-based systems. We use Agile development methods to build unique projects around motivated individuals and their strengths. Each engineer will have the opportunity to incorporate their own skills and ideas into the DNA of the final project, and to grow alongside other RF, signals, space and cyber experts supporting the warfighter.
The primary responsibilities for this project include designing, developing, maintaining, and testing code using prototype systems. The engineers will use embedded development and design methodologies appropriate to rapid prototyping. Other expected work may include: Provide specific input to the components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Commercial Off-the-shelf (COTS)/Government Off-the-shelf (GOTS) solutions in place of new development. Requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual components. Review and test firmware components for adherence to the design requirements, and document test results. Resolve software problem/deficiency reports. Active communication and participation in the full systems development lifecycle, leveraging Agile methodologies. All positions require a BS or MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering.
This position is for an engineer with a mix of C/C++ and/or assembly language knowledge using RISC/embedded architectures. The candidate must demonstrate proficiency with cross-compilation toolchain/build procedures using command-line tools in a Linux environment. Relevant previous experience may include work with Pi, Arduino, or similar development boards. Cyber-related experience such as Capture the Flag participation, and/or RF/SDR tool proficiency is a significant plus. Previous engineering intern strongly preferred. For this Engineer I position only, significant operational experience in the space or cyber domains may be considered in lieu of the technical BS/MS requirement above.
- Support senior Engineering staff in development of embedded systems capabilities from prototype development to fabrication of production code.
- Support, as required, field testing and demonstration activities.
- Contribute to the development of design documentation and other developmental artifacts.
- Current Top-Secret clearance with SCI eligibility
- Minimum 2-5 years of experience as a practicing Engineer working with signal processing or communication system design/development.
- Understanding of embedded systems fundamentals such as building and using cross-compilation toolchains, writing to embedded storage chips, and hardware-level debug.
- Experience implementing low-level drivers, bare-metal OS-like applications, and early application algorithms such as serial, flash and ethernet in C/C++, Rust or Python (Rust preferred).
- Experience performing development within Unix/Linux programming environments. Proficiency with command-line editors, toolchain use, and debugging.
- Experience developing embedded Linux, VxWorks and/or other RTOS.
- Experience with common electronics laboratory test equipment (e.g. oscilloscopes, signal generators, spectrum analyzers)
- Experience with Rust
- Experience with the Agile Development Methodology