Device Magic is a profitable, scaling SaaS startup located in downtown Raleigh, NC whose Mobile Forms product helps companies leverage their remote workforce to collect information with their phones and tablets. Banks, breweries, engineers, truckers, market researchers, charities and tattoo parlors use us every day to make their work easier.
Device Magic is looking for a Jr Backend Software Engineer.
The role will report directly to the VP of Engineering and will play a key part in backend development for our product while working with other members of the engineering development and support teams.
- Participate in product requirements discussions to understand objectives
- Translate end-user requirements and acceptance criteria into manageable development work items
- Interact with other internal teams to clarify requirements and use cases
- Collaborate with lead developer and other engineers to design high level application architecture
- Participate in all stages of the software lifecycle using Agile methods
- Design, maintain, and deliver high quality code
- Develop unit test cases and participate in code reviews
- Analyze application performance and refactor as needed to improve efficiency and code quality
- Report progress on issues and participate in team meetings.
- Bachelors' degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years Ruby on Rails experience
- 5+ years practical Web Dev (HTML/CSS/JS & REST/SOAP APIs)
- Understanding of Agile methodologies (Scrum)
- Experience with GitHub.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, attention to detail, and analytical/problem-solving skills required.
Nice To Have:
- Exposure to Redis, Rspec, Elixir/Phoenix, React
- Contribution to public projects and/or gems
- Cloud development experience with AWS, Azure or other environment
- Experience working on complex, large-scale projects with a remote team
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits incl Medical/Dental/Vision/401k
- Downtown Raleigh location, startup company feel and environment