Requisition ID: 102281
Job Level: Internship
Department: Business Management
Employment Type: Part Time Temporary
Are you interested in helping be responsible for the business management of projects ranging from $1 million to $4 billion? How about taking part in key forecasting and accounting practices? If this is something that interests you, Kiewit is looking for individuals who can make a profound impact on our company culture every day!
The Business Intern role is focused on supporting a project in accounting and finance related functions. Each project at Kiewit is run like a small business, with the Business Intern concentrated on critical tasks such as cost control, payroll, accounts payable/receivable, human capital management, and compliance. This position will become skilled executing processes and utilizing tools related to different types of cost and revenue components such as labor, construction equipment, materials, and subcontracts. The Business Intern will be an integral part of the month end close out process, and assist with preparing a financial reporting package for project management.
At Kiewit, the scale of our operations is huge. Our construction and engineering projects span across the United States, Canada and Mexico, improving and connecting communities with every initiative. We depend on our high-performing operations support professionals — they’re the glue that holds multiple areas of the business together and the catalysts that make things happen. We hire only the most driven people and we offer them diverse career opportunities, strong leadership and mentorship, rewarding, collaborative work, and responsibility they won’t find just anywhere. We’re always pushing new limits. You can too.
Kiewit Offshore Services, a district (or business unit) of Kiewit Corporation that builds structurally complex jackets and topsides for offshore oil drilling rigs. Located in Ingleside, TX, 20 minutes outside of Corpus Christi, the 550-acre fabrication yard is the workplace of 300 staff employees and 1400 craft employees who work in the yard year-round. The projects built by Kiewit Offshore Services require significant equipment planning, detailed cost estimates and schedules, a commitment to safety by all employees, and are truly unforgettable. The Kiewit Offshore Services team is a diverse, tight knit group that enjoys fun team building events such as deep-sea fishing, golfing, and sporting events throughout the year. The employees are extremely schedule driven, high-energy, friendly, and hard workers. Within the Oil, Gas & Chemical Industry, their teams are the best evidenced by the countless project opportunities from owners who seek their expertise when challenged with complex projects. Kiewit Offshore Service leaders are seeking employees who would enjoy living in Southern Texas, ready for a fast-paced career, trainable, and can work well within a diverse team.
This position is based out of Ingleside, TX, 20 minutes outside of Corpus Christi.
- Recognizes the importance of being a team player by adapting to project needs and helping in other areas as needed
- Fosters relationships with the Operations team and shows a willingness to learn about the work
- Understands the payroll and HR process workflow, and masters the systems used to properly hire, transfer, terminate, and pay all employees
- Comprehends how goods are purchased, invoices are received and paid, and maintains purchasing workflow internal controls
- Demonstrates understanding of the accounts payable process workflow and is able troubleshoot payment or vendor issues
- Understands intercompany and client billing process workflow, importance of timely and accurate billing documentation, and the effects of timeliness on cash management
- Ensures that all cost and cost adjustments are reviewed for accuracy to meet company standards and accounting rules
- Reviews costs, quantity claiming, budget structure and exception reports and makes appropriate corrections to ensure accurate reporting for management
- Identifies, adjusts, and reviews forecast and budget issues with the cost report to confirm proper recognition of cost and revenue
- Displays first-rate customer service skills – maintains a positive attitude and always willing to offer a helping hand to other team members
- Maintains highly organized work environment, understands importance of time management, and communicates in a clear, concise and effective manner
- Follows the Corporate Compliance Program and works in conjunction with the compliance department to implement all EEO and labor laws at the project level
- Ability to work part-time during the fall semester (approximately August-December)
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Management, and/or equivalent degree
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide-ranging climates and environments
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
- Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
- Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
- Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience working with Pivot Tables, V-Look Ups, and other key excel functions is preferred
- Effective communication (both oral and written), organization and interpersonal skills.
- Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
- Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and passionate for continuous improvement
- Must be able to freely access all parts of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.