The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks bright, talented, and intellectually curious students to add to our talent pipeline. As a paid Communications Intern for SHOPS Plus Project, you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on industry experience while being exposed to challenging projects and learning from some of the top experts in the field. Interns will be exposed to a depth and breadth of expertise and knowledge through events and programs throughout the summer. Our summer internship program consists of a robust and structured curriculum that encompasses professional development opportunities, networking events, and a mentorship program. This position is located in Rockville.
The Summer Internship Program at Abt Associates is 10 weeks, beginning June 1 through August 7, 2020. Interns must be able to work full time (40 hours per week) for the duration of the program. Abt Associates does not provide housing.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in generating content for social media and monitoring accounts (e.g. convert emails into social media posts, instruct staff on how to create social media accounts, create photos or GIFs, etc.)
- Coordinate development of e-letters and e-alerts for project events and publication launches
- Support event logistics and promotion, including set-up, dry runs, production of online and print promotional materials. Manage attendance and capture participation
- Maintain project contact lists, mailing lists, and listservs
- Disseminate lessons learned and research findings via the website and on social media
- Provide input on marketing materials
- Write success stories
- Perform other tasks as needed
Department / Division Qualifications
- Is currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate level degree program
- Ideal candidates will have academic or work experience in marketing communications, content marketing, public relations
- Comfortable working in MS Excel and conducting online research
Program Minimum Qualifications
- Has completed at least two years of college coursework
- Has excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Is available to work full-time throughout the 10 week internship
- Is eligible to work in the United States
- Transitioning military are encouraged to apply
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.