If you've ever taken a medicine, received a vaccine or had blood drawn for a lab test, you've already benefited from the powerful work of 57,000+ exceptional employees across Covance and LabCorp. By supporting leading pharmaceuticals and 600+ biotech companies through our contract research organization (CRO), Covance employees help improve health, improve lives and bring new medicines to market. Along with our parent company, LabCorp, the world's leading health care diagnostics company, we offer dynamic career opportunities in more than 97 countries.
Advancing healthcare from the laboratory through the clinic requires many different strengths, experiences and perspectives of our exceptional people around the world. Explore our wide range of diverse opportunities and rewarding career pathways and see how you can work with an energizing purpose to discover your extraordinary potential.
Global Internship Program:
Exciting Opportunity to be part of the LabCorp/Covance 2020 Global Internship Program as Laboratory Assistant Intern in cytology and molecular diagnostics laboratory in Charleston, WV!
We offer real work assignments that compliment an education in STEM+ Healthcare disciplines, are challenging and recognized to the organization as valuable. In addition, we encourage professional development and career exploration through program workshops, each designed to help students prepare for a thriving career in our industry.
In addition to departmental and professional development work, our interns have the opportunity:
- To showcase their work to senior management, their supervisor and mentors
- Participate in a group philanthropic project as part of our dedication to the community
Capitalize on a dedicated training and development program that will support your scientific and professional career aspirations, and take pride in delivering scientific work that helps save the lives of millions of people around the world.
LabCorp's Charleston Reference Laboratory consists of dedicated, hardworking, high performance individuals who analyze on average about 11,000 specimens each day.
Internship Assignment Summary:
This position is a 12-week position that will predominantly occur on first shift. During the duration of the 12 weeks, some shifts could span the latter half of night shift and the first half of day shift, or completely occur on day shift.
- Fulfill lab assistant or specimen processor duties while supporting the work of technicians, technologists and scientists in an area of testing in a cytology and molecular diagnostic laboratory
- Learn standard operating procedures for analyzing and storing specimens
- Learn how to use laboratory equipment and software appropriate for assigned tasks
- Assist in preparing specimens for testing in molecular and cytology departments according to standard operating procedures
- Complete meaningful independent projects in assigned area of laboratory
- Work under direct supervision and performs general duties as assigned by the designated department
- Perform all paperwork, technical, and non-technical procedures required to process and submit specimens
- Support the lab by performing data entry, loading instruments, performing maintenance on all types of equipment, gathering supplies for testing
- Perform a variety of administrative duties for a designated department including clerical and customer service functions
- Contributes to a cohesive team environment
- Plans individual workload in coordination with team members.
Applicants for this position must intend to enroll after completion of the LabCorp Internship in one or more final semesters to finish coursework towards a bachelor's or associate's degree.
Academic Programs and Course Requirements:
Completion of the following before the end of spring 2020 semester:
MT/MLS/CLS - Cytotechnology - Histotechnology
Before the start day of internship, candidates are required to have no more than four semesters, preferably two semesters, of coursework remaining towards completion of a bachelor's degree in a Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, or Medical Laboratory Science, Cytotechnology, or Histotechnology program.
MLT or HT
Before the start day of internship, candidates are required to have no more than two semesters of coursework remaining towards completion of an associate's degree in a Medical Laboratory Technician program.
Before the start day of internship, candidates are required to have no more than two semesters, of coursework remaining towards completion of a bachelor's degree in a Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry, Biological Science, Chemistry, or Pre-Medical/Professional program
- Coursework Requirements Experience:
Preferred: Completion of 2-3 sophomore-level or above biology laboratory courses required and/or 2-3 chemistry laboratory courses. Successful completion in multiple laboratory courses in subjects such as hematology, immunology, microbiology, biological chemistry, or clinical laboratory science preferred. Successful completion of independent research in college or undergraduate setting also preferred.
- Coursework Requirements Experience:
Before the start day of internship, candidates are required to have no more than two semesters, of coursework remaining towards completion of an associate's degree in a biological science related program.
We are looking for someone that is well organized, has MS Office suite skills, can prioritize well, and with quick learning agility. Computer skills, some IT knowledge would be beneficial, as well as solid verbal and written communication skills. Applicants with histology or cytology or medical laboratory experience preferred.
The schedule occurs Monday - Friday, with possibility of an occasional weekend day, 8:00am to 4:30pm. Start and end times could vary by up to an hour based on workload.