Global Psychiatric Epidemiology Group
Field-Based Research Internship
_***Please Note: Due to the COVID-19 crisis we have temporarily suspended all fieldwork activities. We are currently accepting applications to begin internships once regular work resumes. Thank You!****_
Located at the New York State Psychiatric Institute (NYSPI), GPEG is a multidisciplinary research group (incorporating epidemiology, psychology, medical geography, psychiatry, etc.), which utilizes a wide range of methods (e.g. field-based interviews, genetics, MRI and fMRI) to understand child psychopathology and substance use.
We welcome individuals who are motivated, punctual, professional, and able to work independently and in a team.
Applicable majors are: neuroscience, psychology, public health, biostatistics, law, medicine, social science, etc. Graduate students preferred, accomplished undergraduates will also be considered. This unpaid internship can be used for college credit where applicable.
Interns will recruit study participants, conduct field-based, structured clinical interviews, assist with other aspects of study support in any of the studies we are currently conducting. To learn about the different studies, we are conducting, please go to https://goo.gl/xPpscW
Skills & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals from different cultural, economic and geographic backgrounds with varying degrees of stress and familial hardship
- Ability to handle confidential materials and sensitive information in a highly ethical fashion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, time management, organization, and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively conduct structured interviews in person
- Demonstration of initiative, flexibility, and resourcefulness in working effectively on multiple projects
- Excellent general computer proficiency and willingness to learn new software
- Bilingual Spanish students (i.e. speaking, reading, and writing) strongly encouraged to apply
- Licensed drivers encouraged (with or without personal vehicle)
Length of Commitment:
Full Length Program: 2 days per week for 12 months or 3 days per week for 9 months
Summer Intensive (May–August) Program: 5 days per week for 10 weeks or 4 days per week for 12 weeks
Schedule for the Position:
We require full day availability, including 4 weekend dates per month.
Please email cover letter, resume and availability to:
Heather Zemeck, Internship Coordinator - via Indeed
IN YOUR COVER LETTER PLEASE ADDRESS All OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. Do you have any particular research or educational goals in mind related to working with our group?
2. Given the minimum commitment requirements listed, which internship program are you most interested in?
3. Are you currently working or in school? If you are in school, will you be interning for school credit?
4. Fieldwork assignments, may (and frequently do) run late into the evening. Is this an issue for you?
5. Please provide the names, emails, and contact information of two academic or professional references.
We Have a Rolling Application Deadline for all Programs—Interested Parties May Apply at Any Time
Individuals of all ages, races, ethnicities, genders, creeds, and sexual orientations encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Internship
Salary: $0.00 /year
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- College Credit
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Weekends required