Karmanos Cancer Center
Nurse Intern- (20002514)
The Student Nurse I is a member of the patient care services team with primary responsibilities
for technical, multi-skilled direct and indirect patient care activities. The Student Nurse I is
assigned to work under the supervision of a registered nurse who delegates tasks based upon
patient needs and Student Nurse I skills and abilities. The Student Nurse I will report all deviations
from expected patient parameters to the registered nurse. It is recognized that specific patient
care tasks may vary widely in type and frequency from unit to unit or across service lines, based
on the nature of the patient population being served. Therefore, individual units, or service lines,
may appropriately add to or delete from the duties defined in the Student Nurse I job description
when approved by nursing administration.
- Collaborates and cooperates with care team members to ensure consistency and quality of care and promotes productive employee relations among staff members. Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to the philosophy and objective of continuous improvement, team work and the mission, vision and values of the KCI, and adheres to the KCI Customer Service Standards.
- Performs a variety of basic patient care activities under the direction of a registered nurse, such as bed making, bathing patients, vital signs and feeding patients.
- Assists the registered nurse by gathering data on patient conditions, direct patient observation, obtaining vital signs, recording oral intakes, monitoring input and output, weighing patients, recording/charting patient information and interacting with patient and family members. Reports changes in patient medical and/or emotional condition to the registered nurse. Documents interventions and patient responses according to policy. Assists nursing personnel in responding to various emergency patient situations.
- Assists patient in activities of daily living by feeding, bathing, toileting and other personal hygiene regimes.
- High school diploma or GED.
- A first-year nursing student, currently enrolled and in good standing, in an accredited school of nursing.