- About us
- K12 Produces Results
- Kudos and Honors
K12 believes in education for everyone. We provide families an online option for a high-quality, personalized education experience. Students can thrive, find their passion, and learn in an environment that encourages discovery at their own pace. In support of this, we are committed to creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion and diversity where our employees are passionate about serving students and families, treat one another and customers with respect, challenge each other to innovate and always strive to do better. .
K12 is seeking a college intern pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in the area of Software Engineering. The Software Engineer Intern will work with an established team in Herndon, VA to deliver leading edge software solutions that drive the K-12 education industry. The team will support and mentor you, but you will be expected to work independently and contribute original ideas to accomplish team goals. We use Agile/Scrum as both a methodology and a mindset. Prior Agile experience is beneficial but not mandatory.
We are looking for smart and ambitious individuals who thrive on the challenge of creating quality solutions to challenging problems and have an unquenchable drive to create and bring to market world-class education solutions! The most important thing to us about you is that you have a passion for operating with cool stuff and you can work harmoniously with a talented team of software engineers. What is required is both a desire to innovate and successful experience in highly collaborative environments that create and foster a positive and productive team atmosphere.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Collaborate with teammates as well as other parts of the organization to complete assigned tasks;
- Design, develop, test, and document software to accomplish assigned goals;
- Participate in team stand-ups and ceremonies;
- Prepare documentation as needed to communicate and advocate ideas and report findings;
- Deliver final presentation to team and possibly other interested parties at the end of the internship.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program pursuing an IT, Computer Science, or Software Engineering related degree at an accredited 4-year college or university OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Passion for learning new skills and technologies
- Experience programming in Java is required
- Strong self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated record of turning ideas into realities
- Proven ability to simplify the inherently complex and organize and solve complex problems iteratively
- Team player who can collaborate and build consensus
- Proficient in Office 365, online tools & utilities (e.g. Jira, SharePoint, Confluence, etc.)
- Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Observational and listening skills
- Self-motivation and excellent problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented and organizational skills
- Passionate about creating well-designed products for education
- Ability to listen effectively, respect others’ perspectives and contributions, and offer and accept constructive feedback
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.); Web proficiency.
- Ability to pass required background check
- Familiarity with any of the following languages and technologies is a plus
- Spring, Junit, and other open-source libraries/frameworks
- Version control systems such as Subversion or Git
- Unix shell scripting
- Programming in Python and/or Ruby on Rails
- Amazon Web Services
- Docker containerization
- Agile development / Scrum
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is an office-based position. The noise level in the office is usually moderate (computers, printers, light foot traffic).
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is “at-will” as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the “at-will” nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
K12 is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)