More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
Duke Energy is seeking an energetic, hardworking science student with an interest in the electric power industry. This position is in the Environmental, Health, and Safety Department. Environmental, Health, and Safety manages Duke Energy’s overall environmental program including functions of Governance, Environmental Compliance, and Environmental Science. As an intern in the Water Resources group, students will gain hands-on experience in aquatic resource studies as well as acquire critical insight into our company and our industry. This intern position is for students pursuing degrees in Biology, Environmental Science, or Natural Resources.
A successful candidate will assist Water Resources staff with biological sampling efforts that could include electrofishing, seining, gill netting, and macroinvertebrate sampling on waterbodies near Duke Energy properties in the Carolinas. Intern will also assist with equipment maintenance, field preparations, and other sampling duties as requested. In addition to fisheries work, intern will support various field and office work activities related to other environmental projects as needed. These activities could include but are not limited to: water quality sampling, sample sorting and analysis in the biological laboratory, data reviews, wildlife management issues, and other environmental work-related activities.
- Office and plant environment - requires walking, light lifting, infrequent climbing, and occasional exposure to temperature and noise
- Laboratory environment – requires sitting at a lab bench, using laboratory equipment
- Field work – wading in streams and rivers, working from boats to collect samples
- Overnight travel may be required in connection with multi-day sampling trips
- Highly procedural and process-oriented structure due to strict regulatory requirements
- Work requires the use of personal protective equipment and closed toe and closed heel shoes
- Currently enrolled and pursuing a four-year degree in the one of the following science programs: Biology, Environmental Science, or Natural Resources
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Valid driver’s license is required
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is desired
- Sophomore or Junior status is preferred
- Demonstrated computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Demonstrated problem solving and analysis skills
- Demonstrated technical problem solving skills
- Interest in working in the energy industry
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety glasses, specific clothing, ear plugs, fall protection, etc.) as needed.
Travel RequirementsNot required
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)No
Visa Sponsored PositionNo
Posting Expiration DateThursday, February 27, 2020
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.