Who are our employees?
Who you are.
You are a CS, SE or Computer Engineering student and have the desire to be a professional Software Engineer and have a goal to find a position on a technology team focused on continuing the growth of our next-generation SaaS application.
In addition to the above you possess a number of desirable traits including:
- You have outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- You are a good communicator (written and verbal)
- You are enthusiastic about working in a team, and have great people skills
- A passion for learning technologies and applying them to the right projects will make you successful in this position.
In a typical week you may:
- Build features used by hundreds-of-thousands of people around the world
- Write code on a modern software stack (Java and AngularJS are the main flavors of the day, but we also use Scala, CQL for Cassandra, and other modern technologies)
- Troubleshoot and investigate issues across every aspect of our platform
- Participate and contribute to code reviews
- Collaborate with other functional groups like design, product, technical implementation as well as our global engineering teams
- Work on a product that changes people’s lives
- Have fun doing all of the above
Our next generation SAAS platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies: Large scale, highly available, public-facing websites built in React/Angular/Angular2 and leveraging tools like Puppet, Pug, Grunt and NPM to make things automated and repeatable. Our Java/Scala/Kotlin-based REST API is built on Spring Boot and Hibernate which serves traffic to both web and mobile consumers. We’re using a combination of Mongo, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra and Redis. Redis, specifically, is used extensively in a distributed locking system, responsible for supporting real-time data processing. All of this uses Amazon Web Services extensively for stability and high availability. We practice Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery using TeamCity; as a result we have continual smaller releases to our environments (Development, QA, Staging, Production), with integrated unit tests and code coverage analysis while eliminating the risk taken on with only a few large releases/product updates.
What you bring to the team.
- Currently working toward a B.S./M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent engineering degree.
- You are self-motivated, creative, and detail oriented
- Knowledge of OO programming and applications built on distributed service architecture
- Enjoy actively experimenting with new technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Bonus Points for:
- Comfort traversing the whole app (web or mobile) stack: client-side through the persistence layer
- Hands-on experience with some of the tech we use: Git, TypeScript, AngularJS, Angular2, HTML5, CSS3, MVC/MVVM Frameworks
- PostgreSQL, NoSQL
- Experience with Agile methodologies including Scrum or Kanban
- Exposure to continuous integration and/or continuous deployment and automated testing
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to in particular ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.