The Fresh Air Fund
The Fresh Air Fund, an independent, not-for-profit agency, has provided free summer experiences to more than 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities since 1877. Each summer, thousands of children visit volunteer host families along the East Coast and Southern Canada and at The Fund’s six overnight camps in New York’s Mid-Hudson Valley. Fresh Air children also participate in year-round leadership and educational programs. For more information, visit www.FreshAir.org.
The Fresh Air Fund is seeking paid interns to assist the Communications department’s staff from June 1st through August 19th, 2020. The hours are 9:00 am—5:00 pm, Monday – Friday.
The intern will gain an interactive, hands-on experience in the nonprofit communications field, including media relations, publicity, and social media.
- Coordinating, writing and pitching: feature stories, media alerts, press releases and letters to a portfolio of hundreds of media outlets along the East Coast and Southern Canada
- Interviewing Fresh Air Fund children, parents, alumni, and host families
- Following up with media outlets via phone and email to help secure press placements
- Assisting with other departmental tasks such as social media and cataloging and tagging photographs
- Passion for The Fresh Air Fund's mission
- Drive to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent writing, time management, and communication skills
- Collaborative work ethic
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Photo, video, and/or graphic design experience is a PLUS
- Social media experience is a plus
- Job Type: Internship
- Compensation: $15/hour
- Required education: Currently earning a Bachelor’s Degree
- Required experience: 0-2 years (including internships and work-study programs)
The intern will report primarily to the Communications Coordinator and to the Director of Communications.
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to Ms. Katherine Borrazzo, Communications Coordinator, at kborrazzo [at] freshair [dot] org with “SUMMER COMMUNICATIONS INTERN” in the subject of the email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Job Type: Internship
Salary: $15.00 /hour
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- One location
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday