Our Systems team is responsible for tying together the concurrent engineering efforts at Span into a product that works reliably and well. We treat product reliability as an engineering problem, so the Systems team combines systems integration with internal infrastructure such as automated functional test and data analysis pipelines.
As an intern on the systems engineering team over summer 2020, you'll be an integral part of our first product roll-out. The role will give you a broad exposure to the product and the process: we'll expect you to do a mix of software development, data analysis, and hands-on hardware.
- Develop internal software tools to support manufacturing, fleet monitoring, and firmware development
- Analyze data from across the company and the fleet
- Collaborate with engineers across the company
- Build a web dashboard to show the health/status of hardware in the field
- Diagnose an urgent issue in the field by running data analysis against fleet telemetry
- Build a data pipeline to run that same analysis continually
- Research paging systems, set one up, and hook it up to said data pipeline
- Prototype an integration with a smart-home IoT appliance
We're looking for interns with enough experience in software development and/or data science to be able to jump in and participate off the bat. That said, you should expect to learn a lot over the summer! We're especially interested in candidates who are self-motivated, quick learners, and who like being part of a fast-moving team.
- Pursuing computer science or similar degree (EE, mechatronics)
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals (data structures, time complexity)
- Comfortable with numerical analysis (Pandas, R)
- Experience with front-end web development, especially React
- Cool projects or coursework in data science / data analytics
- Experience with dev ops (Terraform) or data engineering (Airflow etc.)
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Impacting the future as a small, agile team means putting in a lot of hard work and elbow grease so we work to make sure you are happy, healthy, and look forward to coming to work. Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation
- Sunny, airy office located close to public transportation BART and Caltrain
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities and events
- Opportunity to influence our culture