Additional Locations: None
Requisition ID: 37105
Positioned within the Operations Planning and Performance organization, the Operations Decision Support team functions as an internal consulting group providing quantitative analysis and decision support for Integrated Operations Control and Hub Tower Operations and we have an opening for a Data Science/Optimization Intern starting this summer.
Airlines are awash with data about customers, flight networks, aircraft maintenance, and operations. These data may seem disjointed but are all related to flying passengers safely from origin to destination. We are a growing data mining and machine learning group within our department. The group’s mandate is to find useful relationships between different data domains, with the goal of improving internal and external operations, revenue, and ultimately, the customer experience. As a data science/optimization intern, you will be responsible for data wrangling, building descriptive/predictive/prescriptive models, visualization, development of recommendations and presenting the results to the business units.
We have a diverse group of consultants who are passionate about applying their advanced analytical skills to create a competitive advantage for American. Our goal is to attract and retain talented individuals to help us be the leaders of data driven, optimization-based solutions in the airline industry.
- Pursuing advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a quantitative field including but not limited to statistics, computer science/data mining, operations research, or mathematics
- Deep understanding of/course work related to statistical and machine learning techniques and experience in applying predictive analytics to real-world problems
- Deep understanding of large-scale optimization modeling and solution techniques
- Ability to view data from different angles to employ feature engineering techniques to better represent models
- Experience in computational programming such as SAS/R/Python, or in other statistical packages
- Experience in optimization programming platforms such as CPLEX, FICO Express, etc.
- Experience in programming languages like Java to build optimization models and/or prototypes
- Experience using SQL for writing complex queries involving various joins, aggregation functions, sub queries, update/alter tables and creating volatile tables
- Experience with visualization tools like Tableau/PowerBI is a plus
- Demonstrated aptitude for logical analysis, problem identification, and problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to present analytics effectively to the leadership, team members and customers
- Knowledge of Big Data concepts is a plus
Requisition ID: 37105