Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
What is Laser Bear Industries (LBI)?
LBI is a team within Waymo that produces and ships world-class, 3D LiDAR solutions to enable robotic and general depth sensing. We are a relatively small, cross-functional team spanning engineering, product management, program management, sales, customer success, legal, and manufacturing working on Honeycomb (waymo.com/lidar).
Honeycomb is a revolutionary LiDAR that has a key unique feature - a 95-degree vertical field-of-view (FoV). This FoV is unprecedented for a LiDAR sensor, and we’re working to help our customers take full advantage of it. We’re looking for a LiDAR applications engineer to develop tools and applications that make it easy for customers to leverage the full capabilities of Honeycomb. In this role, you will work closely with software engineering, hardware engineering, product management, sales, and customer success to integrate the Honeycomb LIDAR into higher level applications such as object detection or SLAM.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two way street; leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and of our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Work in a highly cross-functional team that is delivering a hardware product to external customers spanning startups to established, multi-billion-dollar companies
- Integrate Honeycomb LiDAR into higher level applications such as SLAM or object detection
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Undergrad degree in Engineering
- Strong programming skills in C++
It’s preferred if you have:
- LiDAR or other 3D point cloud perception knowledge
- Experience using and developing for the Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Benefits including:
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.