State Of Wisconsin
Job Working Title:
Communications Intern - Summer 2020
Deadline to apply is February 13th at 11:59pm.
WisDOT is responsible for planning, building and maintaining Wisconsin’s network of state highways and Interstate highway system. WisDOT plans, promotes and financially supports statewide air, rail and water transportation, as well as bicycle and pedestrian facilities. Learn more about WisDOT by visiting http://www.wisconsindot.gov.
WisDOT is a great place to be an intern! In addition to gaining valuable experience, we offer benefits such as a casual office atmosphere and flexible schedules. Click here to find out what current employees have to say about Rewarding Work at WisDOT.
Conveniently located just blocks away from the Hilldale Shopping Center, where terrific dining, shopping and entertainment options await plus an outdoor summer Farmers Market on Wednesdays, this position is located at the new Hill Farms building located on the near-west side of Madison. The Hill Farms building is located near bus lines and bike routes!
DTSD presents a multitude of storytelling opportunities including but not limited to innovation, process improvement, construction, planning and design, materials testing, environmental engineering, traffic technologies, bridge inspections and work zone safety. Past interns have ventured to construction sites, labs and the statewide Traffic Management Center to get an up-close understanding of the work we do, and its importance to millions of people in the traveling public.
Primary activities will include writing, research and interviewing to support division messaging in websites, newsletters, social media, presentations and other products. . Editing and publication will be at the discretion of the Communications Manager. You may also have the opportunity to take part in video, photo and graphics projects done in collaboration with other work areas.
Special Notes: Internship Eligibility Requirements:
- Interns must be enrolled in classes for Fall Semester 2020 (i.e. sophomore, junior, senior, 2nd year technical college program, or graduate students).
Interns must carry a minimum of 6 credits during Spring Semester 2020
- Students who have already graduated or will be graduating from a college/ university program in May 2020 and are not enrolling in a graduate program for Fall 2020 are ineligible for internship programs.
Prior to any appointments for position(s) filled from this recruitment, candidates may be subject to a comprehensive criminal background check which may include FBI fingerprinting.
WisDOT does not sponsor work visas. Any appointment made will be contingent on the applicant being able to prove valid status to work in the United States.
The ideal candidate is seeking a degree in public relations, marketing or journalism and has some experience (paid or volunteer) in assisting in the development of web and newsletter content as well as new releases and other promotional materials.
A highly qualified candidate may have graphic design skills and/or video skills and a knowledge/ interest in transportation engineering or public policy.
How To Apply: Apply online! To apply, click “Log In” to access your existing account or to create a new account if you don’t have an account with Wisc.Jobs. Once you are logged in, click “Apply Now.” You will be asked to attach /paste documents (including your resume, letter of qualifications, references and current transcript with spring coursework). Failure to follow the application instructions or provide required documents may result in not receiving consideration for an internship positionswith WisDOT.
- RESUME (upload)
- LETTER OF QUALIFICATIONS (copy and paste)
- TRANSCRIPTS: Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Transcripts much include all courses completed and courses enrolled in/ in progress for Spring Semester 2020. If your current transcript does not include enrolled courses, other official university documentation (such as a course schedule with credits for each course) may be provided. Word documents will not be accepted. (upload)
- REFERENCES: Contact information for three professional references. References will be contacted if you are a top candidate for an internship position. Reference letters are not accepted. (upload)
Please address any questions or concerns regarding the application process to [email protected]