Swedish Hospital, Part of NorthShore
Nursing students function in the role of nurse intern by performing tasks related to the functioning of the nursing unit and the provision of patient care under the direction of a Registered Nurse. In addition, performs selected patient care tasks, under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, while learning the role/skills/responsibilities of a Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission of Swedish Hospital, demonstrates a service orientation and adheres to all responsibilities and standards of the hospital.
- Performs patient care activities as directed.
- Performs selected patient care tasks under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment.
- Enhances own growth and development.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
PATIENT CARE/AGE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Nurse Interns working in specialty areas possess a knowledge of policies/procedures specific to that patient population including age specific needs (e.g. Nurse Intern working with pediatric patients would receive credentialing regarding the needs of children and adolescents). Each unit is responsible for providing specific credentialing.
QUALIFICATIONS/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Current enrollment in an accredited school of nursing
- Current certification on IDPH’s health care worker registry
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with others
- Ability to effectively handle confidential information, stress and organize time and tasks
- Current certification on IDPH’s healthcare worker registry
- BLS through the American Heart Association
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
- Relatives/Visitors of Patients
- Physicians, Nursing Staff
- Other department personnel
- Patient care related equipment
ACCESS TO PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
- Name, Demographic, & Clinical
- Computer system access for the Nursing Division is assigned based on criteria as specified in Policy # 08-113-0, and on the minimum necessary as described in this job description. Approval for level of access is given by the system administrator (for Nursing Division this is Nursing Informatics) or the department that has ownership of system/module. See computer system Access Control policy. Meditech access for this job description is the same as NUR.RN. See Policy 08-113-0, Attachment A.
- Lifting and supporting of patients
- Pushing/pulling of carts, wheelchairs and other equipment
- Walking/standing for major portion of working time
- Use of computer
- Potential for exposure to chemicals, airborne diseases, blood and body fluids
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)