This is a paid internship in Vermillion, SD that will be for approximately the FALL semester with flexible schedule. 10-30 hours per week. Current University of South Dakota student highly preferred.
Assist and develop skills and knowledge in the production of local and regional sports programming for Midco Sports Network and their Affiliates.
- Assist and develop skills in the production of local and regional sports content. This includes Tape Delay, Original Programming, Studio Shows and Live Sports Production.
- Develop knowledge and assist in operation of video cameras, edit suites and editing software Adobe Premier, Avid or equivalent.
- Demonstrate ability to understand and expand knowledge of basic lighting, video and audio techniques and computer applications.
- Continue to develop skills across all platforms, which may include the opportunity for on-air reporting.
- Ability to learn to write professional and engaging sports stories.
- Comply with operating procedures directed by Management and Engineering.
- Participate in the creative process of developing promotional and advertising elements for the network.
- Provide story ideas during meetings, with the ability to follow up and provide updates on ideas.
- Be willing to work on special projects as assigned.
- Communicate effectively and professionally in all forms of communication with internal and external customers.
- Adhere to Midco privacy guidelines to ensure each customer’s privacy.
- Maintain regular attendance as required by your position.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Function as an effective team member while supporting the efforts and strategies, initiatives and projects of other departments.
- Support the mission, vision, and values of Midco.
- Apply personal ethics, honesty, initiative, flexibility, responsibility, and confidentiality in all areas of responsibility.
- Possess an enthusiastic, energetic, self-motivated, and detail-oriented approach towards work and all work projects.
- Possess strong problem-solving, critical-thinking and decision-making skills while using good judgment.
- Multi-task without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that develops positive relationships with team members, customer and leadership.
- Adhere to and actively follow Midco policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Working towards a degree of certificate program in journalism, television production or advertising related field preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may occasionally lift and/or carry loads of up to 70 lbs.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
- In-person visits to a customer’s place of business are normal in the performance of this job. Specific abilities required include accessing a customer's place of business by stairs or elevator, operating doors or other entrances, navigating hallways and buildings, etc., and adapting successfully to a constantly changing environment. Employees may be required to work in excess of 40 hours per week and other than normal business hours, such as holidays, evenings and weekends as business demands.
Midco has been blazing trails since 1931, bringing innovation to the world of telecommunications and delighting customers with exceptional service. Through ambition, imagination and a genuine commitment to each other, Midco proudly serves more than 385,000 residential and business customers in 342 communities in Kansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. By 2025, Midco will deploy 10G, the next great leap for broadband – while also expanding its fixed wireless network to rural areas. We’re also dedicated to making our communities better places to live, work and play. Ready to work at Midco? We thought so. Here are a few more reasons why Midco is one of the best places to work:
- Free and discounted Midco internet / cable
- Tuition reimbursement
- Support of employee involvement in the communities we serve
- Employee referral program
- Wellness programs
Midco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, familial status, membership or activity in a local commission, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)