City of Appleton, WI
The Mayor of Appleton's Office is looking for a student to volunteer-intern in our Diversity and Inclusion Department this semester. This unique position serves under the primary supervision of the Diversity & Inclusion Coordinator to advance equity and the intercultural goals for the City.
- Work with the Diversity & Inclusion Coordinator to forward the department's goals.
- Collaborate with other City departments to create connections regarding ongoing Diversity & Inclusion projects.
- Organize the logistics of programs; participating in preparation of meetings and sessions on multicultural courses or assignments, and assist with community outreach initiatives.
- Intern must be able to sit or stand for extended periods, and assist and escort visitors.
- General administrative duties including calendar coordination, organization of department literature, and data collection.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have an understanding and sensitivity working with people of diverse identities and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated excellent English language skills (both speech and comprehension), and the ability to communicate effectively in-person, virtually, and in writing. Ability to communicate clearly with persons for whom English is a second language, a plus.
- Ability to fulfill duties and responsibilities with a limited amount of direct supervision (after appropriate training), and to complete assigned projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to effectively interact with colleagues and the public in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to perform work in a multi-task environment, prioritizing needs for efficient and effective service.
- Dependable, with a sense of responsibility and reliability.
- Basic computing skills, including word processing, spreadsheets and administrative skills applicable to entry-level employment.
This is a spring semester position, with the option of running through the summer.
College credit may be available.