Jacobs Technology, Inc., a global engineering services company headquartered in Tullahoma, Tennessee, will offer a Civil/Structural Engineering internship opportunity. The opportunity will commence in the summer term of 2020 and will be awarded to an outstanding student who is majoring in civil or structural engineering and has an interest in structural engineering as a career.
The student selected as the Jacobs Technology Scholar will work at Jacobs’ Tullahoma, Tennessee office. The student will work under the supervision of a technical manager and mentor in the Structural Design group – a group that performs engineering design of complex testing equipment and facilities for the automotive and aerospace industries.
Intern students will work 40-hour work weeks for approximately 10 weeks during the months of June, July, and August (negotiable). Students will work on project teams under the direction of a manager and with the assistance of a mentor, are required to attend planned activities, and must make an end-of-assignment presentation to other co-ops and Jacobs’ staff.
- Perform a variety of routine engineering tasks under the direction of experienced engineers to provide experience and familiarization with engineering methods, practices, and programs
- Perform limited portions of larger more complex engineering tasks under the direction of an experienced engineer
- Prepare computations, specifications, and reports of limited scope and complexit y
- Apply design loading to structures utilizing applicable building codes and design codes
- Design and analyze structures to meet project specific and code requirements
- May coordinate the work of drafters in the development of 3D models and 2D drawing packages
- May review subcontractor submittals and shop drawings and provide limited support during construction at project sites
- May coordinate and interface with clients and other disciplines – including design, presentations, design reviews, and training at the Jacobs office, client office, or project site
- May assist with project planning, budgeting, and cost estimating
- A combination of structural steel and concrete design is anticipated
We are looking for a creative individual with a basic understanding of structural analysis and design, steel and concrete design, computer applications, statics, and strength of materials. To be considered for a Jacobs Technology internship position, students must meet the following criteria:
Degree Program: BSCE or MSCE
Cumulative GPA: 3.0 or higher
Current status: Rising junior or above ( Must have completed at least 2 years in an accredited civil engineering program)
Area of Study: Civil engineering or Structural engineering
Coursework: Statics, Strengths of Materials
Outside activities: Involvement in at least one extra-curricular activity
Other: Must have the right to work permanently in the United States (US Citizen)
Good verbal and written communication skills
Must be team-oriented
Good problem-solving skills
Willing to take initiative and work with minimum supervision
Cumulative GPA: 3.5 or higher
Coursework: Steel design, concrete design, structural analysis, computer applications,
Experience: 3D CAD, Finite Element Analysis
Past internship experience is a plus
Outside activities: Involvement in multiple extra-curricular activities – preferably to include participation on an engineering competition team
Other: Student should have an interest in specializing in structural engineering upon graduation
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language .