American Institutes For Research
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of the leading behavioral and social science research organizations in the world. AIR is a collaborative organization that works with clients to examine a wide range of projects in the areas of education, health, workforce, and international development, among others. AIR prides itself in conducting high-impact, high-stakes projects for federal and state government organizations, foundations, and the private sector. AIR's vision is that research-based problem solving can improve the lives of all people.
We are seeking a Research Assistant Intern to join our Professional Services team for our 2020 Summer Internship program. This position is based in our Crystal City, VA office.Responsibilities:
- Provide support for a variety of sample survey and/or longitudinal studies. Examples of studies include: National Household Education Study, School Survey on Crime and Safety Survey, High School Longitudinal Study, Early Childhood Longitudinal Study, and Middle Grades Longitudinal Study
- Conduct data analysis and reporting of survey results and methodological survey research
- Support the drafting and review of NCES products such as data documentation, Data Points, and blogs
- Conduct data quality assurance checks and basic statistical analyses to produce summary statistics
- Support qualitative research projects with schools, districts, and schools
- Conduct literature reviews to help support potential survey design questions
- Currently seeking a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in such fields as economics, psychology, sociology, statistics, computer science, public policy, survey methodology, or other social science related fields.
- Basic understanding of/exposure to statistics using large scale data, and basic descriptive and inferential statistics
- Ability to use statistical software programs such as R, SPSS, or Stata to analyze data – a plus (not required)
- Strong writing and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to rigorous quality control
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite or the equivalent (word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software)
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team