Applicants will be evaluated for both the Manufacturing Quality Engineer Internship and Manufacturing Test Engineer Internship. If you’re interested in either, please apply to this posting.
Join us for a unique 12-14 week internship during Summer 2020 with start dates in May and June.To apply: You must submit all of the following materials:
- Resume: relevant coding language(s) along with any technical experience or projects.
- Transcript: unofficial or official; must be in English.
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Sunnyvale, CA, USA; Atlanta, GA, USA
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Operation Research or a related technical field and returning to a degree program after the internship.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Statistical computing in R, Python/pandas or stata etc., Linux/Unix operating systems, Coding/Programming in Python or other scripting languages, extracting actionable insights and ability to present it to technical and non-technical audience.
- Relevant internship or work experience in either Mechanical Engineering, Supply Chain, Process Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Experience debugging and troubleshooting with electronics and/or firmware.
- Familiarity with running scalable web apps on Google or other cloud infrastructure.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Available to work full time for 12-14 weeks during the summer from May 2020 to August 2020 or June 2020 to September 2020.
About the job
The role: Manufacturing Quality/Test Engineering Intern
At Google, our philosophy is build it, break it and then rebuild it better. That thinking is at the core of how we approach testing at Google. In this role, you will be developing and maintaining the systems that allow our manufacturing test engineering team to scale sub-linearly to meet the challenges of delivering a test engineering function for Google’s various new products as well as our existing sustaining products.
The Manufacturing Operations team is responsible for providing the manufacturing capability to deliver this state-of-the-art physical infrastructure. As a Manufacturing Test Engineering Intern, you evaluate the product designs and create the processes, tools and procedures behind Google’s powerful search technology. When vendors build parts for our infrastructure, you’re right there alongside ensuring manufacturing processes are repeatable and controlled. You collaborate with Commodity Managers and Design Engineers to determine Google’s infrastructure needs and product specifications. Your work ensures the various pieces of Google’s infrastructure fit together perfectly and keep our systems humming along smoothly for a seamless user experience.
The area: Technical Infrastructure
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives to improve cycle time, coverage, cost, and reliability for manufacturing test platforms providing ongoing software and infrastructure support for our external manufacturing partners and internal test development teams.
- Understand product architecture, both Hardware and Firmware. Debug failing product and develop troubleshooting guidelines and training.
- Use hardware knowledge of items such as Oscilloscopes, DMM’s, Signal Analyzers, Pattern Generators, etc. to aid in debug and tester development.
- Develop manufacturing tools, processes for new product introduction, new technologies, product test methods/tester architectures engage in test script development to automate manufacturing test and develop product specific software required for the configuration, programming, and validation of Google’s hardware data center products.
- Understand product architecture (both Hardware and Firmware), debug failing products, develop troubleshooting guidelines and training, create/maintain test plans and debug process plans for manufacturing.