Kaufman Lynn Construction
A member of the preconstruction team who is responsible for preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be built for clients under the CM at Risk guaranteed maximum pricing structure. Responsibilities also include working with the project management team in establishing a bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys and reviewing project plans and specifications for constructability and value engineering in all CSI (Construction Specification Institute) categories of work. Some supervision of other estimators, intern/co-op students, or project engineers.
- Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for all CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development, construction documents).
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with project management team's assistance.
- Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
- Solicits and analyzes subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
- Actively participates in project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Develops unit costs accurately.
- Performs technical/plan review when required.
- Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
- Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources and uses this knowledge in guiding the owner to a viable project.
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Is extremely proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (e.g. SmartBid).
- Provides information to senior estimators/senior preconstruction managers for the purpose of developing accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with project management team's assistance.
- Develops value management options and provides analysis for each, looks at first cost vs. life cycle cost, and takes lead on constructability review.
- Manages multiple projects concurrently with ability to multitask on all project delivery methods including Design Build, Lump Sum, CM Agency, and hybrids of each.
- Totally responsible for complete project KL blue sheet process assuring that all divisions for accounted for.
- Technically competent in all types of MEP scope showing the ability to strategize with subcontractors, design teams and clients and ask questions and provide responses with confidence.
- May assist in purchasing and/or buyout duties on as needed basis and will stay involved with operations buyout process for first 90 days of project.
- On Lump Sum or hard bids, act as Bid Captain responsible for entire bid process including working with Chief Estimator/EVP on scope assignments, bid calendar, subcontractor coverage, bid day strategy, and bid day summary sheet.
- Bachelor's degree in Building Construction is preferred.
- 1+ years of experience in estimating.
- Experience in Municipal Work, Higher Education, Healthcare, Public Schools, Assisted Living, Multifamily and Country Clubs as well as a variety of other markets.
- Ability to read engineering and architectural drawings and specifications.
- Strong Analytical skills.
- Ability to read and understand contracts.
- Outstanding and professional oral, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, On-Screen Take off is required
About Kaufman Lynn Construction
Who We Are:
- Kaufman Lynn Construction is a full-service commercial construction company with extensive experience in both the public and private sectors. We are consistently ranked as one of the largest and fastest-growing general contractors in South Florida.
- We are proud of our amazing culture that is focused on employee engagement. We emphasize accelerated career growth, mentoring and professional development, highly competitive compensation and benefits, state-of-the-art construction technology/processes and a truly fun, family atmosphere. In fact, Kaufman Lynn was recently named by the Sun-Sentinel as one of the Top Workplaces in South Florida for the 5th year in a row .
What You Can Expect From Us:
- Terrific opportunity to make a real impact on our company's success.
- Personal, professional and career growth.
- Competitive compensation package, including bonus opportunities and comprehensive benefits.
- Company culture based on a truly engaged team of professionals that are fully supported by an enlightened leadership team.
- Fast-paced and challenging working climate that makes time for plenty of fun.