AM General LLC
AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, IN., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, IN., Auburn Hills, MI., Franklin, OH., and offices in Arlington, VA., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General s growing Commercial business includes two wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer Powertrain Assembly Plant and automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products. AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
The Electrical Engineering/Test Technologist Co-Op Student will perform engineering work requiring application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks. Independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, while using judgment in making adaptations or modifications to product designs within a military contractor Engineering & Technology Center. These skills are required while supporting Product Engineering, Systems Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and/or Configuration Management.
- Support the test and integration of components, subsystems and systems in a collaborative environment with customer and team members. Assist in define, document, analyze, perform, and interpret system component tests and test plans.
- Participate in the component, subsystem and system development life cycle, which includes defining requirements, designing test cases, testing, and delivery preparation.
- Collaborate with SMEs and engineers to interpret system requirements and designs for test cases.
- Ensure components, subsystems and systems test requirements and logistics are clearly understood, test fixtures are designed and fabricated, test setups meet the test requirements &/or vehicle installation and the overall test timing plans are met under the direction and guidance of the Lead Test Technician and Test Manager.
- Willing to assist the lead test technician while learn to provide testing know-how for the support of user requirements of complex to highly complex hardware or software applications.
- Supports, directs and/or participates in all phases of hardware development with emphasis on test and analysis of user requirements, test design and test equipment selection.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Electrical Engineering/Test Technologist Co-Op Student shall have a minimum of 1 or more years towards an Associate degree, in Electrical Engineering Technology/Electronics curriculum, a Bachelor of Science degree is preferred, with 0 - 2 years of direct related work experience.
- Support and eventually designs, develops, and maintains test equipment
- High-energy with a strong sense of curiosity and hands-on mechanical experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- High level of attention to detail
- Creative problem-solving and analytical skills
- Patient and a Team Player
- Test components, subsystems and systems and report deficiencies
- Maintain 5S throughout the test lab regularly, e.g., before, during and after testing
- Ability to multitask
- Experience with basic lab equipment (data acquisition systems, solder irons, oscilloscope, power supply, multi-meter, analyzers, communication tools, etc.)
- Familiar with instrumentation (strain gauges, transducers, accelerometers, etc)
- Willing ability to learn to calibrate, maintain, troubleshoot test equipment such as temperature, pressure and flow instrumentation, etc
- Ability to read schematics and other drawings
- Familiarity with automotive communication protocols (LIN, CAN)
- Report status of technical topics to test manager.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The working conditions and physical demands are within the military contractor Engineering & Technology Development facilities, which may include the military contractor proving grounds, and requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs or less and work inside and around vehicles and tight places. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Be willing to support minimal travel, when necessary.