Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around September 2020 and continue through the entire Fall semester (i.e. December 2020) or into early 2021 if available. Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Internship Program at Tesla
The University Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
About the Team
Tesla's Material Planning team is at the forefront of our evolution. We have an ambitious vision and a complex portfolio of challenges. Our interns will help design the process of material handling equipment and technological systems to: Unlock efficient and creative material flows Drive business process through encouragement Craft tools and strategies to enable cost efficiencies build operating models throughout our organization. You’ll gain a deep understanding of capital projects management, facility design, storage and order fulfilment systems design for distribution networks, material flow automation, intersection of WCS/WES and WMS. The scope includes parts arriving at Tesla's network of warehouses then downstream manufacturing facilities. We are looking for a leader who can lead teams through ambitious implementations, is a critical thinker, creative, results driven, and data-centric.
What to Expect
As a Material Planning Intern, you'd learn how to lead efforts to develop material flow standards and principles for Tesla’s facilities. You'd be encouraged to lead teams on initiatives related to warehouse automation, facility and material flow design and launch.
- Evaluate alternate and emerging warehouse and distribution technologies, including semi and full automation to reduce total cost-to-serve. Define future business requirements, define hardware (MHE) and software (WCS, WMS) requirements, and conduct financial analyses.
- Identify improvement opportunities across the network, champion concept development, prototype testing, engineering design, and collaboration with 3rd parties on system build, integration testing, project management, implementation, and handoff to operations at Tesla locations.
- Evaluate existing team’s skill set, instill a culture of continuous learning and improve team’s capabilities.
- Encourage teams like Warehouse Operations, Facilities Engineering, IT Application Developers, Automation Tech Developers, Production Control, Material Planning, MHE Vendors, and 3PLs throughout the life of the project.
- Display high levels of expertise in applying principles of project management, preferably in alignment with frameworks from PMI, and lead the organization from conceptual stage to launch and stabilization.
- Currently pursuing your Bachelor’s Degree or MBA focusing on Supply Chain Management, Data Analytics, Business Administration, or Engineering Management
- 3+ internship, project, or work experience related to this area of expertise.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and excellent time management skills.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program