Requisition ID: 86660
Kiewit’s Mining Group is currently seeking mining/civil engineer Interns for their summer 2020 intern program! An Intern position with Kiewit provides a hands-on learning experience directly related to the skills needed in a full-time construction career. You will have the opportunity to develop, participate and learn key roles and functions within construction management. As a Field/Office Engineer Intern you will be introduced to a variety of office and field activities as well as estimating in order to develop your understanding of construction. You can expect to spend time learning and working on shop drawings, submittals, schedules, take offs, pay requests, contract changes and project documentation. While learning these things you will have the opportunity to travel the country building complex projects that make a profound impact on communities.
Kiewit's Mining Group has locations in Wyoming and Idaho as well as joint venture work in Texas and Arizona. However, one of the many things that makes Kiewit's culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs. Job assignment location will be determined 30-60 days out from your start date.
This Internship provides a hands-on learning experience directly related to responsibilities that transfer to skills needed in a full-time position. This is an opportunity for you to develop, participate and learn key roles and functions within our mining and/or construction operations. Depending on the project, responsibilities could include:
- Haul truck operations
- Mine GPS surveying (stakeout, pickups)
- Bidding, estimating
- Environmental monitoring & sampling
- Prepare work plans, assure quality control, manage and track costs and materials, schedule equipment, administer safety programs and maintain exceptional owner relations.
- Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
- Exposure to mine design software
- Equipment time studies
- Hands-on exploration drilling (logging drill holes, prepping cores for lab analysis, data entry, site reclamation)
- Long range planning with a full-time engineer (budget preparation, historical research)
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in mining engineering, explosives engineering, civil engineering, construction management or a related degree.
- Broad knowledge and ability to understand project scheduling and cost control, and to read and understand project owner specifications and engineering drawings
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office. Familiarity with SureTrak, Hard Dollar, Revit, SAP, Pro Log and/or Primavera “P6” is a plus
- Must be willing to relocate for the first assignment and throughout a career as we operate on project/work need basis
- Committed to the construction industry and not the design industry- this is a hands-on, construction career
- Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt (OSHA certification preferred)
- Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
- Strong work ethic - willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
- The ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates, environment, and terrain
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
- Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
- Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
- 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
- Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
- We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.