Founded in 1999, Dexcom, Inc. provides continuous glucose monitoring technology to help patients and their clinicians better manage diabetes. Since our inception, we have focused on better outcomes for patients, caregivers, and clinicians by delivering solutions for people with diabetes - while empowering our community to take control of diabetes.
The Legal Intern will contribute to and learn from the day-to-day operations of our in-house intellectual property department. The Legal Intern also may have the opportunity to work with other departments within Dexcom, in each case as part of the legal team. During the Summer, the legal intern will gain an understanding of the operations of an in-house legal organization and will work on diverse projects across intellectual property and legal operations.
The internship is well-suited for a student with a strong interest in intellectual property rights and innovation policy. The successful candidate will possess superb research and writing skills, preferably with knowledge of legal research and writing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reviewing invention disclosures, patent applications, and engaging with inventors;
- Analyzing patents for patentability and infringement;
- Working on compliance and enforcement projects relating to patents, open source or other types of intellectual property;
- Researching legal issues and reporting results to attorneys in writing and in-person;
- Assist in developing company wide training and policy materials;
- Supporting on various assigned projects, including some operations and administrative tasks;
- Other duties as assigned
- Sound judgment, integrity, professionalism and effective communication skills; and
- An enthusiastic multi-tasker who enjoys handling new issues every day and who can move multiple projects forward simultaneously
- Proficient in Microsoft office programs, expertise in PowerPoint preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Creative and analytical skills
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Excellent attention to detail and able to prioritize work load. Legal Intern must be extremely well organized and highly professional in all written and oral communications and interactions.
- Proficient in online research techniques
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Demonstrated intellectual property law interest
- Pursuing College degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and Materials Science or Physics or otherwise possessing educational background indicative of interest in a career in intellectual property.
- Preferred level: Junior or senior level undergraduate, graduate students or current or perspective law students with intellectual property interest.
- Up to 25%
- Basic understanding of general job aspects and limited understanding of the detailed aspects of the job.
- Acquires job skills and learns the policies and procedures required to complete routine tasks.
- Work at this level requires following standardized, routine methods, under immediate supervision.
- Assignments are routine in nature and expectation is to follow pre-established guidelines and procedures.
- Contacts are mostly within own team and immediate supervisor.
- Little responsibility for decisions as to method or selection of work.
- Receives detailed instructions on routine work and new assignments.
- Works under close supervision.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Dexcom. Only authorized staffing and recruiting agencies may use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes on specific requisitions. Dexcom does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to the Talent Acquisition team, Dexcom employees or any other company location. Dexcom is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.