Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The purpose of this position is to attract data scientists into Amtrak’s marketing department, providing an entry point for students pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Data Science, Operations Research, or Computer Science from an accredited university. Candidates for the position will have the opportunity to apply their analytical, programming, data modeling, and mathematical modeling skills in the office and to gain firsthand work experience in the various aspects of the field of pricing and revenue management in the passenger transportation industry.
- Learn about pricing and revenue management concepts.
- Learn about how data science is used in the pricing and revenue management field.
- Learn about data warehouses that support the pricing and revenue management field.
- Develop queries using the passenger record databases, train capacity databases, train schedule databases, and revenue. management inventory control databases to provide analytical support for pricing and revenue management initiatives.
- Assist in analyzing ridership, revenue, capacity, and inventory data to identify incremental ridership and revenue opportunities.
- Assist in developing and designing additional data warehouses and modifying existing data warehouses to support the marketing department.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours: Monday-Friday, 8a-5p.
- Working knowledge of a database language such as SQL, SAS, Oracle, or Microsoft Access.
- Working knowledge of statistical packages such as R or Python.
- Specific interest or desire to work in the passenger transportation industry in an analytical role.
- At least 2 years of academic undergraduate studies completed or junior level status at minimum.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Excel and Access) or other equivalent software.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Marketing || No Additional