The Aspen Institute
POSITION TITLE: Intern, Aspen Ideas Festival, Public Programs, Fellowship Support
Location: Washington, DC
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Aspen Institute’s Mission The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
The Aspen Ideas Festival is the nation's premier, public gathering place for leaders from around the globe and across many disciplines to engage in deep and inquisitive discussion of the ideas and issues that both shape our lives and challenge our times. Some 450 presenters, 400 sessions, and 3,000 attendees comprise the annual Festival, launched in 2005, on the Aspen Institute's campus in Aspen, Colorado.
The Aspen Ideas Festival Fellowship provides the opportunity for a diverse group of more than 300 leaders from all over the United States and 30 different countries, selected for their work, accomplishments, and ability to transform ideas into action, to join us at the annual Festival. The Fellowship Intern will provide administrative support and general assistance for the Public Programs department, specifically to the Aspen Ideas Festival Fellowship
Primary Mission Accountabilities:
All Aspen Institute employees are expected to embody the Institute’s core mission, stated above. The primary aspects of the mission for which this position is held accountable are:
- Foster a culture of excellence in all aspects of their work
- Represent the Aspen Institute ideal of respect for the dignity and value of others
- Promote a teamwork environment
- Adhere to professional dress code
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Fellowship Manager in communicating with all Fellows, answering questions, and coordinating all logistics.
- Input all travel information, coordinate arrival/departure of, and serve as a point of contact for roughly 350 Fellows during Health and the Ideas Festival
- Collect and compile Fellows information for web and printed materials
- Cultivate Fellows social media groups by consistently posting Aspen Ideas Festival-specific messages
- Send out e-mails to Fellows regarding event information and public tickets
- Coordinate all private Fellows events
- Prepare welcome packet materials for all Fellows, including detailed schedule for each Fellow
- Staff registration desk for all Fellow arrivals
- Trouble shoot issues during Health, Fest 1, and Fest 2 regarding Fellow participation and logistics
- Support follow-up efforts of the Public Programs team will all Fellows
- Co-write the 2020 Aspen Ideas Festival Fellowship Program Evaluation
- Assist with other Public Programs that take place throughout the rest of the summer and part of the fall as needed
- Respect and value diversity
- Initiative and responsiveness
- Team player with ability to work well independently and with others
- Authorized to work in the US
Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience:
- High attention to detail (proof reading, identifying key information)
- Strong research skills (articles and facts/stats)
- Outstanding communication, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information
- Event production/execution experience preferred
- Strong technology literacy and proficiency with the Microsoft Office
- Thorough understanding of diversity and inclusion
- Must be enrolled in or recent graduate of an accredited college
The internship starts May 25, 2020 and with flexible end dates ranging from mid-August to Early-October. This position will require 40+ hours per week and will require paid overtime during the month of June.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.