The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
The Port Authority offers 12-week paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
The Engineering Department is looking for a summer intern to join their team in Financial Analysis Support! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in preparation of monthly financial performance reports and attend meeting.
- Prepare department journal vouchers.
- Research variances of actual spending vs. budget.
- Coordinate division's monthly accruals.
- Assist with updating status of purchase orders.
- Prepare overtime usage analysis reports.
- Assist with operational analysis and project controls reporting and other ad hoc requests, as needed.
About the Financial Analysis Support Department:
Over the course of the past 90 years, the Port Authority’s Engineering Department has played an integral role in the inception, design and construction of many of the region’s historic engineering landmarks including Newark, LaGuardia, and John F. Kennedy Airports, the George Washington, Goethals, Outerbridge Crossing and Bayonne Bridges, the Lincoln, Holland Tunnels and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Engineering is responsible for the delivery of high-quality and cost-effective architectural and engineering, planning, design, and construction management services in support of the agency’s capital and operating programs. In addition, the department ensures the structural integrity, life safety, and code compliance of all agency’s facilities.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for the upcoming Fall 2020 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- Strong analytical skills, excellent communication skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and financial performance reporting.
- Ability to work with large datasets to summarize into meaningful summary reports.
About the Program
- Interns have the opportunity to support their departments with critical projects such as analyzing regional demand data for our airports, conducting interview assessments, development of our annual budget, designing sustainability initiatives, and developing operational plans for retail development.
- On the job, learning is supported by networking sessions with senior management, intern meet and greets and facility tours; broadening your understanding of the agency.
- Engineering Interns have the opportunity to assist experienced engineers with planning, design, construction management and supervision, materials testing and inspection, and information technology management for projects.
How To Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is January 24, 2020; 11:59 p.m. EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: The hiring department/unit conducts interviews in late January and the process will continue until offers are made to selected candidates (February-May).
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin May 28, 2020 and runs until mid-August.
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.