Village of Schaumburg
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the Top Ten Best Places to Live by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's Best Illinois Cities for Jobs and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Intern - Engineering (Summer) with an online application deadline of 01/15/2020 or until 75 applicants have successfully completed the application process.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $11.56 per hour.
WORK SCHEDULE: Position is for the summer months typically based on a 35-hour work week. Preferred work hours are 8:00a - 4:00p.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position assists in the implementation of a variety of capital projects, performs technical review and analysis of project design, infrastructure analysis, and construction services.
Position is for the summer months typically based on a 35 hour work week.
- Assists Engineering Services Division in new or ongoing projects as directed by the Engineering Division Manager and/or Senior Civil Engineer.
- Manages the research and implementation of various infrastructure studies directed by the Engineering Division Manager and/or Senior Civil Engineer, including, but not limited to, evaluating the condition of village utilities, such as storm sewers, to determine their conditions and remedial action plan necessary to correct any deficiencies discovered.
- Assists in the construction management of village public improvement projects.
- Assists in providing public relations services for various capital improvement projects.
- Assists in the review and updating of the municipal web site Construction Project updates.
- Manages various computer applications as assigned.
- Assist Engineering Division staff with survey or GPS data collection.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
- Educational course work in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
- In process of obtaining an Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Graduate Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and have transportation to and from inspection sites.
- Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment .
Candidates should be detail oriented, self-motivated, and possess superior organization and writing skills. General knowledge of construction techniques for land development and public works improvements. Good communication skills necessary. Ability to establish good working relationships.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Subject to high levels of noise for an extended period of time.
- Subject to extremes of temperature for prolonged periods or abrupt changes in temperature.
- Subject to exposure to fumes or disagreeable odors.
- Subject to inclement weather conditions.
- Prolonged periods of concentration such as proof reading, geometry calculations, drawing, reading, interpreting blue prints, etc.
Part-Time employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER