Village of Schaumburg
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the Top Ten Best Places to Live by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's Best Illinois Cities for Jobs and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Intern - Forestry (summer) with an online application deadline of 01/15/2020 or until 75 applicants have successfully completed the application process.
STARTING PAY RATE: $11.56 per hour.
WORK SCHEDULE: Position is for the summer months typically based on a 40-hour work week.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
JOB SUMMARY :
This position conducts field inspections to determine if diseases, insects, or other natural or unnatural occurrences have affected trees in the village’s urban forest. This position answers requests from residents pertaining to tree health and care and prepares written and verbal reports based on inspection data.
Position is for the summer months typically based on a 40 hour work week.
JOB DUTIES :
- Conducts field inspections and documentation to determine if diseases, insects, or other natural or unnatural occurrences have affected trees in the village’s urban forest. These inspections will include site meetings with property managers and owners.
- Monitors contractors performing tree maintenance activities in the village’s parkways and other properties.
- Assists the Forester in implementing and documenting the village’s EAB Management Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or equivalency of college hours in process of obtaining a Bachelor's or Graduate Degree in Forestry or a closely related field.
- Prerequisite educational course work includes undergraduate level forestry, horticulture or closely related field.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of trees and insects and diseases that affect tree health and care. Extensive knowledge of tree identification, diseases, insects, and maintenance techniques used in managing an urban forest.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment .
Candidates should be detail oriented, self-motivated, and possess superior organization and writing skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Regular exposure to inclement weather conditions, standing water, mud, and temperature extremes for prolonged periods of time.
- Necessity to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Regular requirement for site visits to developed properties.
Part-Time employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER