Village of Schaumburg
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the Top Ten Best Places to Live by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's Best Illinois Cities for Jobs and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Intern - Community Risk Reduction (Summer) with an online application deadline of 01/15/2020 or until 75 applicants have successfully completed the application process.
STARTING PAY RATE $16.92 per hour.
WORK SCHEDULE: Position is for the summer months typically based on a 40-hour work week.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
JOB SUMMARY :
This position conducts fire inspections in residential and commercial properties in accordance with the Village’s fire codes and ordinances. This position monitors and documents violation information and must have a general knowledge of fire codes. Prepares written and verbal reports based on inspection data.
Position is for the summer months typically based on a 40 hour work week.
JOB DUTIES :
- Primary responsibility will be to conduct fire inspections to promote fire safety and prevent fire hazards. These inspections will include site meetings with property managers and owners.
- Enters inspection results in computer data system and manages various computer applications as assigned.
- Prepares and submits reports of inspection findings with pertinent code sections of violations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or equivalency of college hours.
- In process of obtaining a Bachelor's or Graduate Degree in fire science or a closely related field.
- A minimum of six months of general work experience.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of fire codes and inspection regulations.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Personal vehicle required with mileage reimbursement.
- Candidates should be detail oriented, self-motivated, and possess superior organization and writing skills.
- Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Subject to high levels of noise for an extended period of time.
- Subject to extremes of temperature for prolonged periods or abrupt changes in temperature.
- Subject to exposure to fumes or disagreeable odors.
- Subject to inclement weather conditions.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Regular requirement for site visits to developed properties.
- Capable of climbing ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, stairwells, etc.
- Capable of withstanding heights, walk on roofs, maneuver around and/or through obstacles, construction materials and/or equipment.
- Capable of standing and walking for long periods.
Part-Time employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER