Squaw Valley Resort
Promote the sport of skiing or snowboarding and assist the primary Ski Team Coach in instructing children ages 4-9, as well as complying with the safety standards as outlined in the Squaw Valley/ Alpine Meadows handbook.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Applicants must be 16 years of age. As a prerequisite, a post offer background check is required.
Essential Job Responsibilities/Duties/Tasks include the following; other duties may be assigned:
1. Assist the primary coach with instructing and educating students ages 4-9 in skiing technique, able to demonstrate modern teaching techniques.
2. Ensure understanding of chairlift safety
3. Determine appropriate terrain for skills being developed.
4. Use effective pacing that is appropriate for students ability level.
5. Participate in USSA/PSIA clinics to keep current with the most modern and efficient teaching methods and techniques.
6. Communicate daily with Ski Team staff to maintain awareness of operations and activities.
Competencies and Job Requirements:
1. Effective communication skills, oral & written
2. Strong sense of customer service & safety awareness
3. Able to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
4. Have a neat & clean appearance in compliance with the company grooming standards
5. Punctual, able to report at scheduled start time
6. Work well as part of a team.
7. Advanced skier or snowboarder
8. Able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions and procedure manuals.
9. Able to work in adverse weather conditions.
Education and Experience:
1. Valid work permit
2. One to three months ski coaching and race experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
3. One to three months experience working with children aged 4-6
1. Recreation, education, or child development background.
2. PSIA or AASI certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, see, hear, and ski. Must be capable of walking, standing and skiing 90% or more of a normal 8 hour work shift. Must be capable of occasionally carrying, lifting. pushing or pulling up to 50lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus.
Indoor/Outdoor: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will continuously be exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee will frequently be exposed to extreme cold, wetness and/or humidity, and occasionally blizzards and extreme storm conditions.
Hazardous Materials/Noise: The noise level in the work place is usually moderate.
Equipment Used in Job: Skis and/or Snowboard